Tywardreath, Par, Cornwall PL24 2QU 07720 049258

Bluebell Cottage

About The Cottage

The oldest house in Tywardreath, Grade II Listed Bluebell Cottage is pure chocolate box prettiness with white-washed walls hugged by an ancient wisteria. Perfectly located for touring Cornwall, this detached, cosy cottage is at the end of the village of tywardreath,  Although retaining many authentic period features including low beams and lintels (mind your head in places) and cloam ovens in each fireplace, the cottage has been gently updated with modern facilities. The ground floor living-room has a seating area on one side with a warming wood-burner in the old fireplace, and a dining-area on the other, leading to the compact kitchen and family bathroom. Off the lounge / dining area is a single bedroom, Upstairs, two double bedrooms have high ceilings with exposed beams while a small single bedroom offers flexibility of accommodation The elevated cottage garden catches the sun all day, perfect for outdoor meals. Surrounded by beautiful countryside, the thriving village has a general store, butcher, pub and takeaway, and a beautiful 14th Century church which sits majestically at its heart. The Saints’ Way footpath and Par beach are easily reached, and pretty Fowey, the lovely Luxulyan valley and the Eden Project are all nearby. 


“Bluebell Cottage” is a Grade 2 listed building, The cottage is very old, it is believed to be the kitchen wing of the former manor house of tywardreath, which is named in the doomsday book of 1088, the location of this manor house is not known, but may have been in the rear garden of the cottage, this was known as the first residence in Cornwall of the Rashleigh family, and afterwards served as the dower house of menabily,

  • this was the last thatched cottage in the village, the thatch being removed in 1942, due to risk of incendiary bombs, as elderfield house, nearby was bombed and completely demolished, with the loss sadly of two people, 
  • During renovations at the cottage, the fireplaces were opened up and the cloam ovens were discovered, one dates from 1531,
  • When the roof was being rebuilt, 5 of the original peg roof trusses were kept in situ, with another 8 being made, cut, bashed and carved to look like the originals,
  • A silver sixpence from 1564 was found in the hearth of the large fireplace.
  • The cottage has all original joists and flooring, and has had the lime plastering re-done both inside and out, 
  • The “ duck egg blue” paint around the windows, doors , fascia’s and guttering is listed to this property

Dining Room / Lounge

Bedroom no 1

Bedroom no 2

Bedroom no 3

Bedroom no 4


bathroom / utility

The Garden

Around the Cottage